Fixtures Amendments. Oct 2021Please note that the following amendments have been made since Fixtures were released :-
Claydon B - Premier Division - Match Night - Monday
Hadleigh Owls - Division 2 - Match Night - Thursday
Trimley A - Division 1 - Match Night - Tuesday
Trimley B - Division 2 - Match Night - Tuesday
Divisions for 2021/22 Season!. Oct 2021Divisions have been released for the new 21/22 Season!
Premier Division x 9
St Margaret Aces
Division 1 x 11
St Margaret Kings
Pickwicks Stowmarket A
Wherstead Comets (New Name TBC)
Division 2 x 12
Pickwicks Stowmarket B
Pickwicks Stowmarket C
New Committee Member. Sep 2021We would like to welcome Peter Armes to our Committee as League 2 representative!
If anyone would like to be a representative for Division 1 or Division 3 - get in contact!
Graham Mortimer. Jun 2021Graham Mortimer
It is with deep regret to advise you that Graham died yesterday following several years of illness.
Graham was a former Chairman of the league, a county umpire and a regular supporter of championships and will be greatly missed.
Our thoughts are with his family and friends and previous teammates.
If anybody wishes to send a card to his wife the address is:
Mrs Thelma Mortimer
78 Northfields Gardens
Moving away. Jan 2021After many years playing table tennis in Ipswich Tony Heath, Rosary Club Secretary, has decided to move away. He will be going to live in a village called Badby which is near Daventry to be closer to his children.
If anyone would like to get in contact with Tony, you can on his email:
Good luck in the Daventry League Tony! ๐“
IDTTL - Season 20/21. Jan 2021We hope you are all keeping well and safe. As we are now in our 3rd national lockdown, this again delays our plans to restart any form of competitive league table tennis in Ipswich. With this in mind the committee has decided that it will not be feasible to attempt a start to the Winter league before September 2021. We will also plan to hold an AGM to celebrate the winners of the 19/20 season.
Prior to the league starting there maybe opportunities that allow you to play table tennis - and possibly to compete. We will communicate anything that Britannia or of course any of our other Clubs are able to offer.
We realise this is frustrating time for everyone. We have to follow the guidelines from the various national bodies (i.e. Government, Public Health England, Sport England, or Table Tennis England).
Stay safe everyone๐“๐“
- The following waiver of ETTA Rule (2003/4) 57.1 is to allow the staging of handicap competitions, hard bat tournaments etc. The waiver is not intended to cover the normal league competition, only an "additional competition". Under ETTA Rule (2003/4) 57.1 all Competitive Table Tennis must, subject to any waiver granted, be played under the ETTA Approved Laws of Table Tennis, which are at present as set out in this leaflet.
National Council resolution dated 9th July 1994 under Rule (1994/5) 42.7.1, to remain in force until further resolution, states: "Any County Association, Local League or club may, without specific permission, organise and conduct an additional competition or competitions solely among its own members and players on a knock-out basis , wherein the normal provisions of the Approved Laws are varied in one or more of the following ways:
(1) by reducing or increasing the number of points required to win a game, either for all players or differentially under a system of handicaps
(2) by restricting the type of racket covering or by otherwise diverging from the normal requirements as to equipment."
To answer Adrian Clarke's suggestion of finding a method to allow people to play 21pt matches without breaching the ETTA regulations, we find the above WAIVER quite restrictive:
We cannot run a 'league' type event, it must be knock-out.
The event must come second to the main 11 pt league - this effectively means that players must be registered and involved in the main league.
- Being a regular cleaner of his bat, the Registration Sec' was challenged the other night for cleaning his bat between games of a match. In such a situation there's only one person to ask... Chairman Bert with his umpire blazer on. Bert ruled that there is no regulation against cleaning your bat. Footnote: The magic cleaning fluid was none other than good old Suffolk tap water bor.
- The three week grace afforded teams to play outstanding matches at the end of the season will be enforced so that matches played after that date will not count for the final league table.
- The Ipswich league is currently trying to increase the number of people playing the league, especially those of a younger age group. Players usually enter the lower divisions of the league at an age of 13 - 14, however, by that time they will have been playing non-league Table Tennis for a couple of years and the earlier they start the easier it is to improve. Having said that, the league welcomes players of all ages.
- In the summer of 2000, the ETTA decided to follow the ITTF ruling on using a larger 40mm ball, as opposed to the existing 38mm ball. If you are just starting or about to get into playing again after a break, you might want to check you're using the right size. The larger ball is easier to see and is slightly slower. Great for the old'ns!.
- Another rule change of note for those who haven't played for a while, is the one concerning bats and the rubbers. Without getting into the finer points, it basically means those playing league and competition games have to play with a Red rubber on one side and Black on the other of the bat. If you are a pimple rubber user, you will need to check the current legal pimple types, (the old grass type pimple is out!).
- Still trying to perfect that ultimate serve that no one can return? Watch out because the ball has to be visible to the opponent for the whole of the serve. No dangling the free arm in front of the ball!
- Think the 40mm ball is big?. In Japan 44mm balls are making an impact - will we see the same?
- Do you keep your tracksuit on until you are properly warmed up, i.e about the middle of the first game. Soon you may have to start the warm up clothed in the manner you wish to complete the whole game.